Saturday 16 June 2012

NQT Career Progression Advice

Had a talk this week from a member of senior management about being an RQT and career progression. The entire talk was incredibly helpful. Speed dating with senior members of staff who explained how they got to where they are now. Most of them saying it was down to luck but knowing these people I believe it was more through extremely hard work!


Two things that were said have really stuck with me though: 
Firstly, when thinking about the direction you want to head in i.e. pastoral or curricular, talk to the people around you as they will know which route would tend to suit you better even if you don't. 
Secondly, don't apply for all and any roles that come up. To get to where you want to go, only apply to those jobs that are relevant to that, otherwise the leadership team will not know what it is you really want for you career.


I am very lucky to work at a school where there are so many opportunities. It is now up to me to decide to apply for the right ones. Personally, I think I prefer the curricular route. A pastoral role came up recently and as I was discussing it with my NQT mentor, I realised I am not the sort of person who can stand up in assembly, in front of 300+ kids every week and deal with pupils with severe behaviour issues every day but that's just me.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you picked up some good advice from the session. Luck and hard work in a 40-60 Split I would say.

    ReplyDelete